"Europejski Fundusz Rolny na rzecz Rozwoju Obszarów Wiejskich: Europa inwestująca w obszary wiejskie."

Ruins of the Teutonic Order Castle in Grabiny Zameczek

The present-day form of the Grabin Castle was obtained after reconstruction in the middle of the 19th century. Among the objects worth seeing there are the cellars of the former castle with barrel vaults on the west side, The Holy Trinity Chapel, after the last reconstruction in the former apprentice chamber, and a brick gate with the stone coat of arms of Gdańsk, located at the south-western corner of the residential building (the village and the castle were the property of Gdańsk from the mid-15th century to the early 19th century). The moats on the north and north-east side are filled with water. To the left of the castle's entrance gate, you can see the brick walls of the dried south and south-east moat, as well as the foundations of the walls and towers. Between the Motława riverbed and the Kłodawa channel there is a 4 hectare park. The entrance at the gate with the coat of arms of Gdańsk and further on with a footbridge through the Kłodawa channel. There are several hundred years old oak specimens. The village was first mentioned in a document by Duke Mściwoj II on 28 August 1273 as "Grabino". After the Teutonic Knights seized Gdansk Pomerania, it grew to the rank of an economically important administrative centre, ruled by the mayors. Their seat was already in the 14th century a defensive court, surrounded by a rampart and a palisade and a moat. Thanks to the excellent soil conditions, the estate soon became one of the main breeding bases in the Teutonic state. In 1404, for example, there were 2200 sheep, 120 cattle, 480 pigs and a stud farm with 300 horses. In 1406 the Order built a new brick castle in Gothic style. At the same time, an aqueduct was built on the Motlawa with its water directed from the Kłodawa River, which was used to supply the castle moat and the mill. In 1459 the inhabitants of Gdańsk demolished the castle by order of the Gdańsk City Council. In revenge, the Teutonic Knights robbed the property and murdered the servants. Several decades later, Eberhard Ferber, a patrician from Gdańsk, took over the ravaged property as a lease and rebuilt the fortress. During the Deluge, the Swedes organized plundering expeditions to Gdańsk from here. In January 1657, when the waters in the castle moat froze, a 1600-strong Gdansk unit set off for Grabiny. After a fierce battle the fortress was captured. In later times war troubles did not bypass Grabiny's estate, but ended up in quarters and requisitions. On 28 November 1928 the Senate of the Free City of Gdansk established the town's coat of arms, depicting a castle with two towers, between which a shield with the coat of arms of the great Teutonic masters was placed. After the war, the buildings that remained from the castle fell into increasing ruin.


Arrow left
Arrow right